February 17, 2012

5 - Week 6

Week 6

I have had some fun today creating a 'Stack' on Delicious, as well as a 'Favorites' list on Youtube. Here is my Delicious website http://www.delicious.com/stacks/view/PJ03CL which is based on my interest in Climate Change. And here is my Youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FL2py-pLbOPcaGVlrWiNoxwA&feature=mh_lolz which lists some of my favorite videos on Climate Change. Nothing too fancy for now!

Not sure if these links will work, so I will check them.

Some thoughts I have on topic of social tagging:

I agree with what Noruzi wrote in her article on Folksonomies,

"Librarians and information professionals have lessons to learn from the interactive and social aspects
exemplified by collaborative tagging systems, as well as their success in engaging users with information management."

Noruzi, Alireza (2006). Folksonomies: (Un)Controlled Vocabulary? Knowledge Organization, 33(4): 199-203.
‘Copy and paste’ has come a long way in collecting, organizing, and communicating information. ‘Tagging’ allows us to collect and organize information on the Internet in a way that copy and paste creators probably never dreamed of. I have no problem with individuals experimenting with their own cataloguing system on websites such as Flikr, Youtube, and Delicious. I believe there are more pluses than minuses to social bookmarking and tagging. As we navigate our own interests while experimenting with technology, we learn from each other, by example, how to best manage our information and contacts. The 'shared' aspect of these sites will keep people 'talking' and learning new and better (?) ways to organize their files. I do however, believe that National and School Libraries need to be standardized (if for no other reason, than to stand up as a good teaching example) so they/we can 'talk' to each other, and make information more accessible.


No comments:

Post a Comment