February 06, 2012

6 - Journal entry #7

Week 7

I was going to write about MARC 21 records and how much this book is helping me understand the terminology as prepare to write Assignment 2 (MARC 21for Everyone: A Practical Guide. Deborah and Richard Fritz, 2003.) But then I logged onto my blog and was reminded about Google's new Privacy Policy, so I decided to read their message. It sounds like nothing has really changed for us users, other than that we may be able to access our information and move between accounts more easily. I use my Blogspot account through Google, as well as a Google Map account I created for a LIBE course last summer. What I wonder about is how the different vendors are reacting to the new Policy. Perhaps this new policy has been created to make things fair between different companies that help to create Google add-ons and other 'share' features (blogs, maps, photos etc)
I wonder how many people depend on the Interent for basic communication. There are many web-based programs that I would not have access to if I didn't have an Internet connection. With the news this week that the Yellow Pages will no longer be printed, I wonder how much easier it is now to communicate with people. I have not used a printed phone book (residential or commercial) in a couple of years, but one of the last times I did use it, was when someone at my house was already using the computer and I wanted to order take-out (dinner). I was glad I had a hard copy of the phone number! Another time I used the phone book was during a power failure, and luckily, I also still have a phone that is not dependent on electricity. I think it is great to have the Internet as my main provider of connectivity, but it is sometimes critical to have another source of information at my fingertips. I wonder what people without the Interface or technological skills will do when they want to connect with new people or companies. Perhaps they will just rely on their own personal 'little black book' and 'word of mouth'. Then, I will wonder, if we are not reaching our most vulnerable population, have we really come a long way in terms of providing access to the public?

No comments:

Post a Comment