March 04, 2012

7 - Bill 22 overload -week 9

After a frustrating week spent contemplating a strike, and reading up on Bill 22, I am a little wiped out emotionally. I am trying to keep it all in perspective, but feel I need to take a stand on the state of education in BC, and educate my friends on the concerns we have as teachers and parents. I have written letters of concern to Susan Lambert regarding the strike, to the Ministry regarding BC's Education Plan, and signed a petition to Kill Bill 22. I am contemplating writing a letter to my MLA regarding my concerns (as a parent) with Bill 22, and how it strips language protecting class size and composition, my biggest concerns with the cutbacks to education.

Two things that caused big smiles for me last week were job-shadowing an amazing TL on Bowen Island, and reading a letter of support for West Vancouver teachers in an email from our Superintendent to parents. It is these lights in the fog that keep us going, and why I choose to focus on them at the end of a long and difficult week as a teacher on the brink of a strike.

No comments:

Post a Comment