March 16, 2012

2 - Week 3

Week 3

I started working on Assignment #3 today during a Professional Day in our district. I am helping our Teacher Librarian increase her web presence, which we hope will increase access (and advertising!) of the learning resources in our school library. We have a rough outline of how we want the website to look, and are using Edublog as our platform. When we get it fine-tuned a little more, I will feel comfortable 'putting it out there' for classmates to comment on. We are borrowing ideas from Joyce Valenza's wikispace that lists exemplary elementary school library websites. This is a great website that I would like to share with classmates! http://schoollibrarywebsites.wikispaces.com/Elementary+Examples

An interesting note on Access is this week's decision by the US Justice Department to shut down website Megaupload, as they claim it violates piracy laws. Congress is trying to pass laws they feel will stomp out piracy, but many feel it impedes Freedom of Information and Free Speech. I was attempting to use Wikipedia two days ago, but it was blacked out (as was Craigslist apparently) in protest of PIPA and SOPA. I find it interesting and timely that we are examining the issue of Access in our LIBE 465 course right now! I may comment more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment